Anand Dighe Biography – Age, Wife, Family, Career, Death
Anand Dighe was a Shiv Sena leader and an Indian politician from Maharashtra. He is best known as the political mentor of Maharashtra’s 20th Chief Minister, Eknath Shinde. He was died in a car accident in August 2001. Dhighe entered active politics at the age of 18. Anand Dighe is a member of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and the Thane district secretary of the NCP’s youth wing.
In the 1970s, Dighe joined the Shiv Sena, and quickly became a prominent leader of the party to spread its Hindutva and Marathi identity, after which Bal Saheb Thackeray appointed him the Party president in Thane district, where Dighe became popular for holding a daily Durbar at his Tembhi Naka residence to hear the general public issues, earning him the name Dharmaveer. Anand Dighe collaborated with many prominent leaders of other political parties, including Lal Krishna Advani of the BJP.
He contested for the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly from the Thane constituency in 2019 and won with a big margin. Anand Dighe is known for his active participation in a variety of social and political causes. He has started several programmes and projects to help the people of Thane.
Some more interesting facts about Anand dighe
- Anand Dighe was used to drink water from a steel pitcher.
- He was a successful entrepreneur. He was the Managing Director of Maitreya Realtors & Construction Pvt Ltd, a Thane-based real estate firm.
- Anand Dighe was a sports enthusiast who has been actively involved in sports endorsement in Thane. He has established a number of sports facilities and training programmes for aspiring athletes. Anand Dighe was a people person who was known for being approachable. He was always willing to listen to people’s concerns and has taken several steps to address them. Also Read
- Anand Dighe formed Anand Ashram, named after himself, to assist the poor and needy.
- He enjoyed playing the carrom board game and would oftenly play it with his friends in his free time.
- He closely worked with Indian social activist Anna Hazare, and Anand Dighe became known as the “Second Bal Saheb of Thane.”
- Anand Dhighe was a devout follower of Load Shiva, and he was frequently seen praying at various Shiva temples.
- He was known for his meditation practises, and he would oftenly meditate alone.
He was arrested under TADA in 1989 after being accused of murdering Shiv Sena party member Sridhar Khopkar. According to reports, Khopkar voted for Congress in 1989. Dighe was later released on bail.
Anand Dighe died on August 26, 2001, at the Sunitadevi Singhania Hospital in Thane, where he had been receiving treatment after a road accident near Vandana ST Bus Depot while returning from a Ganpati festival. Following his death, his followers set fire to the hospital, believing that the hospital administration had been careless in his care. Some questioned whether his death was murder. There are various conspiracy theories surrounding his death.
Eknath Shinde succeeded Anand Dighe in Thane after his death.
Dharmaveer Anand Dighe Heartcare Center & Urocare Center has been named after Anand Dighe in Kalwa, Maharashtra.
On May 13, 2022, a Marathi film based on Anand Dighe’s life, titled “Dharamveer,” was released.
People also searched for Veer Pahariya